Collection is 100% non-invasive and allows you to pursue your birth plan of choice

ORDER YOUR LIFECELLS COLLECTION KIT TODAY

Some frequently asked questions answered:

 

It is the collection, processing and cryopreservation of stem cells from umbilical cord blood and tissue for future use in stem cell treatments of for clinical trials.

This can be done privately i.e. for the exclusive use of the child and their family; or publicly i.e. for the use of anyone.

In essence the process is very simple. At the earliest signs of labour, you will need to call our dedicated ‘labour line’, which is manned 24/7, and ensure you take your LifeCells Collection Kit with you to the agreed hospital or birthing location. Your kit contains all of the necessary equipment required for successful collection by your LifeCells phlebotomist. He/she will travel to your hospital or birthing location, and liaise with your midwifery/nursing team to setup an area that can be used to work on the cord and placenta (usually adjacent to the delivery room).

After the birth of your baby, your midwife will bring the placenta and cord to our work area. The phlebotomist will carefully collect the cord blood and cord tissue, placing them into buffer solutions designed to keep them protected and free of contamination.

All of the samples are labelled, barcoded and placed in a temperature-controlled transportation bag, which also contains a datalogger (for temperature recording). This ensures that samples are transported at the right temperature and tissue viability isn’t compromised during transport.

We aim to transport samples to our facility within 12 hours from the time of collection.

Once the samples have reached our lab, cord blood will be processed as soon as possible (usually within 4 hours) in order to prevent acidity within the blood unit.

Tissue samples are processed within 12 hours (from time of arrival at the lab)

No. The collection is 100% non-invasive and allows you to pursue whichever birthing scenario you would like. The clamping of the umbilical cord can still be delayed and, whether you deliver vaginally or by caesarean, the collection of the cord blood and tissue will take place following the delivery. Likewise, whether you deliver the placenta naturally or after being induced does not impact our collection of the tissue and blood samples.

This is a difficult question to answer. As we are not a public bank, we will not reject samples that our clients have paid for. Public blood banks are very selective and will reject samples that contain fewer cells than their standard requirement (in some cases 1.5x10^7 cells/kg of CD34 marked cells). We will accept all samples (provided they are not contaminated). Because we are looking at matched clinical application, there are clinical benefits even with lower cell numbers. Our processes are designed to maintain the highest possible cell viability and we record the number of viable cells multiple times by taking samples of 10uL (microlitres) as we move along our process.

We take regular viability samples, which are recorded in our client files.

This depends on the level of peace-of-mind you are looking for. Any one of your children’s cord blood and tissue stem cells will have a 25% chance of being a perfect match for any of their siblings, and a 75% chance of being a usable match, so, if you have one of your children’s stem cells banked they will all be better protected than if you had chosen not to store any stem cells. However, to guarantee a perfect stem cell match for all of your children you should save the stem cells from each of their births.

Almost all maternity hospitals in the UK allow this service to be performed by our professional team. If you have any concerns over your specific hospital we will discuss this closer to the time when we liaise with you and your medical team.

The samples are insured and secured. If we were to cease trading, we would arrange for samples to be transferred to other banks with our client’s permission.

Our storage facility is located at Discovery Park, Kent, in a state-of-the-art storage facility with -80 and -170 Liquid Nitrogen Freezers. The freezers are powered by an on-site renewable power plant and backed by a bank of generators that provide a failsafe for any situation

The industry in the UK has stagnated. Not much has changed with regard to processes and as a result the UK has fallen behind countries such as the United States. We are collaborating with our counterparts in the US to make sure that we (as a young company) are on the cutting-edge of the science. Our processes are validated by the leading accrediting bodies and as such we can ensure that our clients’ samples are safe, viable and clinically applicable. Our facility designs are bespoke to our processes. While we are a young company, this puts us in the prime position to be completely adaptable to the needs of our clients and the changes in the industry.

In order to ensure that your child’s samples are safe and secure no matter what happens in the future, LifeCells have extensive contingencies in place to protect against an unlikely corporate failure in the future. If this were to happen, the samples would be transferred to a separate private stem cell bank at no extra cost to you where you would be able to access the samples just as before.

Processing and storage all happens in our state-of-the-art facility in Discovery Park, Kent
LIFECELLS, Discovery Park, Sandwich, Kent CT13 9FF FIND US ON GOOGLE MAPS

NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

Our website uses COOKIES to help improve your experience. READ MORE or ACCEPT ALL and move on.

Cookie Policy

Our Cookies Policy explains what cookies are, how we use cookies, how third-parties we may partner with may use cookies on the Service, your choices regarding cookies and further

What are cookies

Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you.

How Lifecells Ltd uses cookies

When you use and access the Service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.

We use cookies for the following purposes: to enable certain functions of the Service, to provide analytics, to store your preferences, to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioural advertising.

We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service:
- Essential cookies. We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.

For the full disclosure section, including all types of cookies, please click here.

Third-party cookies

In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.

What are your choices regarding cookies

If you'd like to delete cookies or instruct your web browser to delete or refuse cookies, please visit the help pages of your web browser.

Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.

More information about cookies

If you would like more information regarding Cookies please visit the below site:
ICO (Information Commissioner’s Office) - https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/online/cookies/

Get your FREE GUIDE today

Our free welcome pack provides you with everything you need to start making your decision.

By providing your information, you will receive:

  • One-to-one contact with a member of our specialist support team.
  • An information pack PDF providing clear, comprehensive and unbiased information about the benefits of storing your baby’s stem cells and a step-by-step walkthrough of the collection and preservation process.

If you would like to speak to our team directly you can find our contact information here.

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input

DUE DATE:

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Please add customerservice@lifecells.co.uk to your contact list to ensure our emails go straight to your inbox, and check your Junk / Spam folder if you think you have not received communications from us.